среда, 1 июня 2016 г.

How to Speed Up Your Metabolism for Easier Weight Loss

How to Speed Up Your Metabolism for Easier Weight Loss


How to Speed Up Your Metabolism for Easier Weight Loss


Hi Mike,


I have hit a small cross- roads sadly whilst I used to stick


to your advice which your site has been a great source of. So thank you! I have started reading a lot more as of late


and have now just come to a place of utter confusions.


There is soo much hype around the primal and paleo diets and


cutting carbs and sugar and what not that I am now feel confused as to where to


take my nutrition.


I'm 59kg 168cm


female, I would guesstimate my body fat sits at about 20% give or take. This


has crept up again in recent times, I tend to fluctuate between 57 -


59kg. I have never eaten less than about 1300/1350 cal but have at times


maintained a 800-1000 cal deficit as I output roughly 2200 cals a day and this


for an extended period of time.


After reading this article, I am a little unsure as too how


many cals I should be eating, I have in the meantime increased to about 1400


then now 1600 as no weight was moving and I was fearful this was due to under


eating.


But now in a 2 week window nothing has really moved and I do


a variety of training from resistance to HIIT to slow pace cardio.


I have maintained a slightly higher fat (primal) diet also


for a little while now due to my reading mentioned above which I am also


wondering if this is the right way to go considering I am not overweight or


near having diabetes or any other health issues which those diets tend to also


address.


I am not really wanting to build too much more muscle as I


tend to look a little bulky now which is also why I'm worried to increase carbs


again as I know this will also mean potential growth.


I would like to get to about 18% and just be healthy, lean,


toned and slender.


Any advice on how I can set a reset button and how many cals


I should consume and or some general advice for my situation?


Thanks soo much!


Hey Sharon, I totally understand. There's tons of info and hype out there! Keep it simple. At the end of the day, it's still calories in, calories out. Energy balance will determine whether or not you lose weight.


Check this out to set your targets:


https://legionathletics.com/di...


https://legionathletics.com/ho...


Doesn't sound like you need a reset button right now. Let's find out what a good deficit target for you is, and stick with it for a few weeks. If you're not (or haven't been) losing weight, check this out:


http://www.muscleforlife.com/n...


Also, you'll only bulk on a surplus. As long as you stay under TDEE, you're fine.


Hey Mike,


I've been cutting for a few months and lost around 10kg and I'm sitting at around 14-15% body fat but would like to reach around 10% so I can start bulking.. My TDEE is 2350 and I eat around 1800.


My weight loss has stalled a lot and I'm sure it's because of my metabolism after being in a cut for so long.


My couple of questions are: can I eat at maintenance calories straight from the cut instead of gradually increasing the calories? (I would like to minimise the amount of time spent at a cut) And how long should I be at maintenance calories before I can get back at cutting?


Also, thanks for your articles, wouldn't have lost so much without the help!


Hey Adam,


No need to reverse diet. A weight loss plateau is normal, and all you need to do is increase your activity and/or drop cals:


http://www.muscleforlife.com/n...


Glad the articles are helping! Keep up the great work.


Hi Mike,


Was going to shoot you an email but figured this is a good forum to discuss this. I am on phase 2- week 2 of BLS and results have been awesome! I've basically been cutting the whole time using PHX, Forge, Pulse pre workout, and a 25% deficit, which I've had to adjust a couple times but for the most part have seen consistent fat loss with good strength gains. Combo newbie gains/ muscle memory. At 44 and a retired athlete it's been years since I worked out hard, but the body does still remember sort of what it was like.


I started at roughly 12-13% BF and got down to about ~9% based on calipers and mirror. Had full length transverse abdominals showing and lower ab veins which is freaking cool. It worked out that I was on holidays for my strength week and Deload week ending phase 1. I trained hard through the strength phase but I got carried away on eating and went a little nuts, ok maybe a lot. Definitely saw strength gains with the increased calories, which was cool. However by the time I was ready to start Phase 2 I could see I gained some signicant fat. Obviously not all fat but I was about 194lbs going into strength week and then 203 after my deload week, ~11% bf.


So I definitely proved that your body is primed for quick fat gain following a cut, lesson learned!!! I'm now back at it using the 25% deficit at 2200 calories. I really didn't reach my goal of leanness though I was getting close, as I'd like to get to about 7-8% BF to see what that's like. My question is; do you think I can jump back into a cut without doing a proper reverse diet phase? Im worried I won't see the same fat loss results and I don't want to set my self up for failure with a compromised metabolism. Any other thoughts on how I should proceed?


BTW, thx again for the amazing information.


Nice work with the cut, Don! Glad to hear you made some nice strength gains as well. You can jump right back into a cut.


Hi Mike, I'm 34 years old 5´7, around 141 Lb (%14 BF)


I have your book and your personal meal plan and it is great.


I had a few personal problems so after a few months I can be right back on track now


My TDEE is around 2200 and the meal plan goes for 1670 calories per day ( I go to the gym 5 days a week and also do cardio 3-5 times a week as well)


My question is...I made the plan a few months ago and it was great and now I'm getting back at it...now is taking me more to see changes on the scale, I'm not fat or anything but my belly gut is the one who seems not to leave!


For how long should I make this meal plan before hitting a wall and seeing my diet stalt? After a few months should then start increasing calorie intake?


My protein-carbs and fats are supposedly meeting my needs, the thing is...how long should I keep the same diet? Until I hit 10% BF and then start bulking?


Im not expert in this, so sorry for the long post! Sometimes I feel very dizzy with so many terms and online opinions!


Hope you can help!


Hey Matt!


That's really awesome you've been training under BLS and picked up a meal plan. Nice job with the initial gains. Eventually, all meal plans will need adjustments. Nice work with the cardio routine. I recommend that you be more consistent with the HIIT cardio so you have a better grasp of how much exercise you need to get the fat loss moving. You can also drop 25g from carbs (100kcal decrease) from the meal plan. That usually helps. Lastly, check this out:


http://www.muscleforlife.com/n...


The cut will take as long as it needs to. Once you have reached 10% or dropped to BMR cals and aren't losing weight, then you can stop the cut. 1lbs/week is a good target to shoot for.


Ok, but reading the forum I see that people hit a wall after 8-10 weeks (weight lost stops) I should increse my calorie intake after that for a week or so to speed up my metabolisim and then cut again until I hit 10% BF???? thats my question...


I been doing cardio (bike doing HIIT session only 25' ( going faster for 45'' and slow for a 1 minute and so on)


HOPEFULLY that would help


When your weight loss stalls, then you adjust by increasing your activity and/or dropping calories.


I thought I had to INCREASE my calorie intake for a week or so...


But I will do some carbs cuts (50gr x day) and ill try to do 5 HIIT cardio days...


No, take a look at the article Roger linked:


http://www.muscleforlife.com/n...


Sounds good! Solid plan.


But I read the article and at the end I see this...


emain in a calorie deficit for long enough and your metabolism can slow down to the point where a further reduction of intake and/or increase in activity just isn’t feasible.


\"Fortunately there’s a simple solution: the “reverse diet,”which consists of a steady, systematic increase in caloric intake. When done properly, reverse dieting allows you to eat more and speed your metabolism back up to “full capacity”while gaining little-to-no fat\"


So thats why I'm confused, when should I apply the reserve diet then? Since my weight is the same, Im doing the meal plan and working out, incresing weight for the last month, but the scale is not moving and it is very frustating :(


There comes to a point in every cut where you have to decrease your calories and increase activity to keep weight loss moving. I don't believe you've gotten to that point yet if you haven't hit BMR on your daily cals and still have room in your schedule for activity. You can increase the duration of 4 HIIT sessions by 5min and that's one way to pack in a \"5th session\" if time is an issue.


So, if my BMR is 1596 CALORIES/DAY as it is right now and my meal plan is roughly 1700 cals, means that I have to cut at least 200 cals a day? (days im not working out) and maybe half of that the days I'm working out? Seems so little cals intake,


Like drinking my protein shakes on my rest days seems like a bad iea now!


I should forget about muscle gain at this point right?


Ill try doing 30' HIITS sessions then


Start by increasing your activity first before dropping cals.


Muscle gain isn't a priority right now, and you won't build significant muscle when deep into a cut.


Hey mike, I've been practicing reverse dieting for about a year now, and I always increase my calories by 140-180 every week.


While I know how much my metabolism increases every week while RDing (in that 140-180 range), I don't know how much it decreases on a deficit.


I ask because I had to decrease my calories for a week in the middle of my RD; I was just getting too uncomfortably full every day.


After that, I resumed from where I left off because I had only decreased my intake by 290cals a day. I also figured that the decrease rate is slower than the increase rate because I can keep losing weight on a 600cal deficit after 4 weeks (my 150ish calories/week increase rate would make my metabolism even out at that point).


Basically, what I'm asking is does the metabolism slow at a more linear rate like reverse dieting, or is there not a set pattern for when you decrease calories?


Hey Andrew!


Your metabolism doesn't necessarily accelerate by 140 to 180 calories per week -- that's just a \"safe\" way to work your calories up and avoid overeating while your body is primed for fat gain (post-diet issues).


Restricting your calories for a week won't affect your metabolism to speak of. Don't worry about that.


Regarding when to decrease calories while cutting, check this out:


http://www.muscleforlife.com/n...


Thanks! I also am just about to come out of a reverse diet and cut at a 25% deficit. The problem is that I'm about to go on a ten-day vacation, which I think will affect my TDEE.


I usually exercise 10 hours a week, but will be exercising for 1-3hrs/week. When I plug these activity levels in the TDEE calculator, I get 2,300 and 2,050, respectively. So, when I cut my calories by 25%, should I use the first or second TDEE?


Use the second TDEE because it reflects your vacation activity level.


Thanks! I'm actually about to finish my reverse diet and start a cut at a 25% deficit. The only problem is that I'm about to go on vacation for about ten days, and I think that may affect my TDEE.


On vacation, I'm going to be exercising for about 1-3hrs every week, whereas I usually exercise for 10.


So when I make my deficit, should I use my TDEE for when I'm exercising 1-3hrs/week or my regular TDEE?


hi mike! greetings from Argentina! i lost a ton of fat during the last 4 months, i always though that i had a 4 pack, but actually ive a six pack ( low ones not so hyperthrpy)---> what i have to do for building size?... so, i was saying... thank you very much, actually my TDEE is 2050 kcal. i was eating 1700, noy in two weeks im in 2000-2050 (maintenance) im going to do this for 2 weeks to speed up my metabolism... my question is: summer is coming here, in 4 months, im 5 6´135 lbs cut as fuark with small size but round muscle, how can i reach summer with a little more muscle and still lean af? thank you very much, you r the men,


Welcome, Tomas! That's great you lost a ton of fat in the last 4 months. If you're sitting at around 10%BF, you can go on a bulk right now and then cut hard and fast in time for summer. What do you think?


Mike... I think that im less! Veins poping out my v shape (low abs) 8-9 %. That sounds nice! But im scare! Ahah. For how long? And hoy long the cut to go back from where are i am now? 5% surplus or 10%? Thnks!


Nice work! You have two options in this case:


1. Stay this lean, and make slow steady gains:


http://www.muscleforlife.com/c...


2. Start bulking at 10% surplus to 13-14% before cutting down again. (but first, reverse diet: http://www.muscleforlife.com/r...


http://www.muscleforlife.com/b...


Which route you choose is up to you. The first one is a slower bulk than the second. But, the benefit is that you stay shredded throughout the process.


Thanks mike, you are the best. I will keep you update. I ve an awesome pic of before and after. Where can i send it?


Great! Shoot me an email:


mike at muscle for life dot com


Mike you recently told me I should drastically cut my calories for weight loss after I told you that's what I did and I haven't been losing weight. Why are you saying the opposite here?


No wonder I didn't drop any weight in 2 months despite eating less and exercising more. I don't feel like building up my metabolism again though so I'll just keep eating less and exercising more. I seem to have been making some progress in the last week with that after counting my calories and doing more cardio so hopefully that will just continue on. Then when I start bulking again I will do reverse dieting. Does that sound right?


Tracking makes a night and day difference, and so does adding more activity. Glad to see you're getting progress now.


That is correct!


My immune system also weakens after like 3-4 weeks in the gym. Doesn't that get worse if you eat less than 2000 calories at 185 lbs and 6'2?


Not really. How's your nutrition? Micronutrients? How's your recovery and sleep? Stress in life?


Exercise is a type of stress for the body, and if you're not equipped to handle more stress because your system is in a compromised position, then added stress like exercise will overload your immune system's ability to fight off invaders.


I eat clean. Micronutrients should be fine although we don't have Mike's multivitamin in South Africa. We also don't have his omega 3 which he said helps with the soreness in high dosages.


My sleep could probably be better although I get a fair amount of sleep. I have never been a heavy weightlifter and I am now 37 so maybe it is the fact that my body is not used to it?


Anyway I am now taking a full week off after which I should be good to go again.


I'm still confused why you said two different things. If you drastically lower your calories doesn't that slow down your metabolism? I'm still having a very hard time cutting. I feel like my metabolism has slowed down.


OK. To cut, you go on a deficit 20-25%. If you sustain this for months and months, your body will adapt to the decreased energy intake by lowering its energy output (aka metabolism slows down). The effect is even more pronounced under really big deficit diets at or below BMR when sustained over time.


If you have been cutting for two months and haven't seen the scale budge, then I suggest you compare your body composition and strength to when you first started the cut. You may very well have lost fat, but put on muscle--leading to a stagnant weight measurement. Also compare your body measurements (arms, legs, waist, chest) to your initial pre-cut measurements.


This is why tracking is so important. You can clearly see what is going on and diagnose the problem a lot easier. Also, shows if you're making progress or not.


If your stats haven't moved and you haven't been cutting for months and months, then looks like you have to boost your activity and/or lower the cals. Unlikely a \"slow metabolism\" that resulted from being in deficit.


It's tough to measure accurately though. I can more or less see how much fat I have by looking at my gut. I am lifting heavier all the time but I am sick of being small. My muscles don't seem to be growing despite living heavier weights, or they grow very slow. According to Mike you can gain something between 20-30 lbs in your first year and after 8 months I'm not anywhere close to that.


You can measure your BF within 1-2% accuracy if done correctly:


http://www.muscleforlife.com/b...


As to how much muscle you can build within your first year of lifting, it's up to 20-25 lbs and keep in mind, that's when bulking--not cutting.


So, if you're getting stronger and building muscle while cutting, that's great. We just gotta ensure you're effectively losing BF at the same time. We can make that happen by being in a deficit and eating enough protein and tracking your composition as I mentioned above. Check this out:


https://legionathletics.com/bo...


I also recommend keeping this in mind to help keep the fat loss going:


http://www.muscleforlife.com/n...


And if it is time to RD, check this out:


http://www.muscleforlife.com/r...


Hope this helps! Talk soon!


This is the information I couldn't quite get a straight answer on over the whole web, and it's explained so well here!


I've been unintentionally recomping (coming back from a year off from injury, and straight back into a cut + muscle memory and strength gains :-] )


I have a lot of experience cutting, and realized I started this recent cut with a sluggish metabolism - I'm down to just about eating at bmr for calories and fat loss is slowing down (lost 7.5 lbs of fat, ending week 8 today). I'm still at 19% body fat, as I let myself go quite a bit after the last back injury. Macronutrients are great, well coordinated meal planning, I just didn't realize I started off a bit sluggish.


With this, I'll be ready soon to go into a reverse diet up to the new TDEE, spend a week or two there, and then head right back into cutting.


Is there a way to raise TDEE overall? I guess that would be through raising muscle mass... more lean body weight per body fat ratio... I guess I answered my own question lol.


Anyways, thanks for the great, great information and explanations. I have been trying to figure this out for a while without any helpful info to be found. Cheers!


Great! Glad you found it helpful. Awesome job on the cut, BTW.


To increase TDEE you can also increase your activity and intensity of activity.


YW. Keep up the great work!


This is the kind of body I'm going for (might not be possible at 115 pounds but again any insight you have will be a great help).


Totally doable body goal. I wouldn't fixate on weight too much. You have to take into account body composition.


Hi Mike,


I'm 17 years old, 5'5\", 130. I was at one point 5'5\", 115 (during cross country season--I was actually 112 before but gained muscle) and would LOVE to get back down to that range. My junior year of high school I cut my calories down to 1200 and that worked for a while, but exactly what you said in your article happened to me: I hit a wall and gained weight instead. Right now my estimated TDEE is about 1638, and if I make a 20% cut that puts me at just over 1300 calories. To me, that seems low and I don't want to have to keep cutting calories after that, even if I reverse diet. I do go to the gym to lift and do cardio for about an hour a day, 5 days a week on a good week. Would it be possible to stay strictly around 1500 calories daily and still lose weight? I'm fine with losing weight slower as long as I can stay healthy and avoid killing my metabolism again. I would love to hear any suggestions you have.


Thank you so much!


Claire


Hey Claire,


Mathematically yeah that 20% cut works out, and is appropriate. You can lose weight at 1500, but it'll be slow. Check this out:


http://www.muscleforlife.com/r...


I suggest even more activity and more intense activity if you cut at 1500kcal.


Hey-a Mike


Question regarding increasing my food intake after 10 weeks of dieting/cutting.


I lost 13lbs in 9 weeks (from 162 to 149 lbs). I restricted my calories to 35% deficit (1,500 cal/day) the past 2 weeks to lose more fat and lost 2lbs/week. Now on my 10th week (ended today), I didn't lose any lbs at all. Actually gained .5lbs, which is surprising.


Even though through a deficit for 10 weeks, I was still able to increase weight on compound movements and reps.


Now that I'm comfortable at this weight, I am going to increase calories to my TDEE (2,300). However, what happens if I start consuming now, especially this weekend, my TDEE, which is an increase of an extra 1,000 cal/day or so? Instead of slowly consuming 100 - 150 cal/day.


Will I gain fat, even though I'll be consuming at my maintenance?


Please advise.


- Nat


You definitely want to do reverse dieting and not jump straight up to TDEE. That's a recipe to pack on the fat.


Hey Mike, Doesnt this seem a bit like starvation dieting?? i thought that the whole concept of starvation dieting was a myth, like i thought your metabolism cannot adapt by that much becasue didnt you also write an article about how in the minnesota starvation experiment they did huge calorie cuts and stuff but they still lost a lot of weight at the end? So how does this make sense that your calories are really low but your not losing weight? maybe those people are binge eating on the weekeneds?? Pleasee Explain!!!!


Hey Saki! The metabolic system will adapt (best it can) to match your energy output to your energy input. Therefore, when you cut your intake for an extended length of time you will lose weight as long as you're in a negative energy balance, but, it will come to a point where your metabolism \"catches up\" and you cease to lose any more healthy weight because your body has now matched itself with your low energy intake. Low intake, low energy expenditure = little to no weight lost.


Does that help explain?


yea thanks


Sweet. NP!


Mike, do you have an email brother


When people want to lose weight, the advice they’ll often get is to simply “eat less and move more.”It’s just calories in vs. calories out, they’ll be told.


But how does that explain the women that come to me at 140, 150, or 160+ pounds, eating 1,300 calories per day, exercising 6 -7 hours per week\u2026without losing weight?


According to standard calculations, such women should be burning upwards of 2,000 calories per day. So how the hell can they be eating so little without losing fat? And what should they do? Should they suck it up and eat even less? Push through another hour or two of grueling exercise each week? Or is something else needed?


Well, in this article I’m going to break it all down and show you why preserving your metabolic health is the key to consistent, pain-free weight loss.


So let’s start at the beginning: what the hell does metabolism even mean?


The Metabolism Made Simple


The dictionary defines metabolism in the following way:


The chemical processes that occur within a living organism in order to maintain life.


Two kinds of metabolism are often distinguished: constructive metabolism, or anabolism, the synthesis of the proteins, carbohydrates, and fats that form tissue and store energy; and destructive metabolism, or catabolism, the breakdown of complex substances and the consequent production of energy and waste matter.


In short, when we speak of the metabolism, we speak of the body’s ability to use various chemical processes to produce, maintain, and break down various substances, and to make energy available for cells to use.


As you can imagine, this is an incredibly complex subject as it encompasses the entire set of processes whereby life is sustained, so let’s hone in on the aspect of it most relevant to this article: metabolic speed.


Now, what does it mean to have a “slow”or “fast”metabolism?


Well, such distinctions are referring to what is known as the body’s metabolic rate, which is simply the amount of energy the body uses to perform the many functions involved in metabolism.


Basal metabolic rate excludes physical activity, and we often measure it in terms of calories. (One calorie, or kilocalorie as it’s technically known, is the amount of heat required to heat one kilogram of water one degree Celsius)


The faster one’s metabolism is, the more energy the body burns in performing the many tasks related to staying alive. The slower it is, the less energy it burns performing these tasks.


In a funny sense, a slower metabolism is actually more “efficient”than a faster one because it requires less energy to maintain life. (This doesn’t mean a slow metabolism is good.)


Now, the body’s metabolic rate is influenced by various factors such as age, fat mass, fat-free mass, and thyroid hormone circulation, but some people’s bodies also naturally just burn more energy than others’.


For instance, one study reported basal metabolic rates from as low as 1,027 calories per day to as high as 2,499 calories per day, with a mean BMR of 1,500 calories per day. Much of this variance was due to different levels of fat-free mass and fat mass, age, and experimental error, but a significant portion (about 27%) of the variance was unexplained.


Another study demonstrated that basal metabolic rates can vary between people with nearly identical levels of lean mass and fat mass. Researchers found that despite their subjects all having comparable body compositions, the top 5% BMRs metabolized energy about 30% faster than the lowest 5%.


Alright, so that’s what the metabolism is and how it works. Let’s relate it to weight loss.


How Your Metabolism Affects Your Ability to Lose Weight


As you probably know, you lose fat by feeding your body less energy than it burns every day. Your body deals with this energy deficit, or calorie deficit, by tapping into fat stores to get the energy it needs (that it isn’t getting from the food you eat).


From where are most of these energy demands coming from, though? That’s right, the metabolism.


For instance, a 180-pound man with 10% body fat and a healthy metabolism has a basal metabolic rate of about 2,000 calories per day. Through regular exercise and other activity, total daily energy expenditure could increase to about 2,800 calories per day.


Well, as we can see, about 70% of an in-shape, active man’s total daily energy expenditure still comes from the metabolism.


This is why preserving metabolic health is so important when it comes to weight loss. When you reduce your calorie intake to induce weight loss, you’re counting mainly on your metabolism to keep humming along, pulling from fat stores. Sure, you use exercise to increase overall energy demands and thus fat loss, but your metabolism is a major player in the game.


The slower your metabolism is, the less food you’ll have to eat and the more exercise you’ll have to do to lose weight effectively. The faster it is, the more you’ll be able to eat and the less you’ll have to exercise.


The Surefire Way to Slow Your Metabolism to a Crawl and Get Fat


Most people know that losing weight requires eating less food than they’re currently eating and moving more, and most people want to lose weight as quickly as possible.


What do many people do, then? Well, they dramatically reduce calorie intake and dramatically increase energy output (through many hours of exercise each week). And while this approach will induce weight loss for a bit, it will ultimately fail. Why?


Because your metabolism adapts to the amount of energy you feed your body. Its goal is to balance energy intake with output\u2013to maintain homeostasis.


When you restrict your calories and feed your body less energy than it burns, your metabolism naturally begins slowing down (burning less energy). The more you restrict your calories, the faster and greater the down-regulation.


The opposite is true as well, by the way. As you feed your body more, your metabolism will naturally speed up (burn more energy).


Now, when someone dramatically decreases calorie intake and their metabolism finally slows down enough to match intake with output, weight loss stalls. This is usually met with further calorie reduction or more exercise, which only results in more metabolic slowdown, and thus a vicious cycle begins.


In most cases, the dieter finally can’t take the misery anymore, and goes in the other direction, dramatically increasing calorie intake (bingeing and gorging on everything in sight for days or weeks). This, in turn, has been shown to result in rapid fat storage, often beyond the pre-diet body fat levels (people end up fatter than when they started dieting in the first place).


What’s going on here is very simple: these people have systematically crashed their metabolic rates and then overloaded their bodies with way more calories than they needed, and the body’s response to this is to store much of the excess energy as fat.


Ultimately what happens is the person winds up fatter than they started, and with a slower metabolism. If they repeat this cycle a few times, they can find themselves in a really bad place metabolically: eating very little food to maintain a high body fat percentage.


This process of dramatically and chronically slowing the metabolic rate down is often referred to as “metabolic damage,”and fortunately, it can be resolved.


How to Speed Up Your Metabolism for Easier Weight Loss


Your metabolic health is going to determine how effectively you can lose weight, so here’s the bottom line:


If you want smooth and consistent weight loss, you want your metabolism to be running quickly before you start.


As the metabolism adapts to food intake, you want your weight to be stable with a high amount of daily calories before you start restricting them for weight loss purposes.


Ideally, you should be eating at least your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) without gaining weight before you start a weight loss routine.


Here’s a simple calculator that will help you determine your TDEE:


Weight


Body Fat Percentage(Click here to learn how to measure.)


LBM


BMR


TDEE


If you’re not currently there\u2013if you’re eating quite a bit less than your TDEE and your weight is not moving, you need to improve your metabolism before you attempt a weight loss routine.


Fortunately, this is easy to do if you remain patient. Here’s how it’s done:


1. Engage in heavy resistance training (weightlifting, ideally) 3 -5 times per week.


This has two big benefits for your metabolic rate: it speeds it up in the short term, burning a significant amount of post-workout calories; and it builds muscle, which speeds up your metabolic rate in the long term.


My Bigger Leaner Stronger and Thinner Leaner Stronger programs are built around heavy, compound weightlifting, and are perfect for repairing metabolic health.


2. Slowly increase your calories each week until you’ve reached your target intake (your TDEE).


In the bodybuilding world, this is known as “reverse dieting,”and it’s a very simple but effective way to speed up your metabolism.


Instead of dramatically increasing your calorie intake, you want to work it up slowly, allowing your metabolism to keep up and match output with intake (resulting in little-to-no fat storage).


I like to increase in increments of about 100 -150 calories with 7 -10-day intervals. That is, you increase your daily intake by 100 -150 maintain that new level of intake for 7 -10 days. You then do it again and again and again until you’ve reached your TDEE.


3. Eat plenty of protein.


A high-protein diet is important because it will promote muscle growth, which is what we want to achieve with step #1.


I recommend that you eat 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight when you’re working on speeding up your metabolism.


4. Eat a moderate amount of dietary fat.


While I’m generally not a fan of high-fat dieting for athletes (and I explain why here), I do recommend eating a fair amount of dietary fat every day when you’re working on improving metabolic health.


The reason why is it boosts testosterone production (albeit slightly), which in turn speeds up metabolic rate. It’s a relatively minor point, but every little bit helps.


I recommend that you get 30 -35% of your daily calories from dietary fat when you’re working on speeding up your metabolism.


A Healthy Metabolism Allows for Healthy Weight Loss


When your metabolism is healthy\u2013when you’re able to eat plenty of food every day without gaining weight\u2013weight loss is very easy.


As discussed in my article on meal planning, you will simply utilize about a 20% calorie deficit with 4 -6 hours of exercise per week (a combination of weightlifting and high-intensity interval cardio works best), and it will be easy, effective, and enjoyable.


Yes, your metabolism will slow down, but not by much. This approach will give you at least a good 2 -3 month window in which you can lose plenty of fat while potentially even building muscle.


And if, over time, your metabolism slows down too much but you haven’t hit your body fat percentage goal yet, you simply take the above steps to speed your metabolism back up, and then move back to weight loss.


What did you think of this article on how to speed up your metabolism? Have anything else you’d like to share? Let me know in the comments below!


Original article and pictures take http://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-speed-up-metabolism site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий